Hikaru (ヒカル, Hikaru) – Deus: Misaki Suzuhara
- Though small and lightweight compared to most angels, Hikaru possesses very strong attacks, most which are speed-based. Her small stature makes her aerodynamic, quick, and agile. She was created by Misaki to show others, through Angelic Layer, that there is nothing wrong with being small. Her appearance is a bit tomboyish, since Misaki had accidentally cut her hair short. She has a less mature physique than other angels. Hikaru appears as a crossover character in Chapter 144 of Clamp's manga Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. Hikaru's name means 'glowing' or 'shining' in Japanese. In the manga, Misaki bases Hikaru's appearance on a character from Magic Knight Rayearth.
- Nicknamed “The Speed of Light,” Suzuka often defeats her opponents with her speed. Created by 6-year-old Hatoko, Suzuka resembles a beautiful and strong ninja, and her 'Rolling Thunder' attack can defeat other angels within seconds. Her strength has led her to compete in the heated National Tournament along with Hikaru. Suzuka's name derives from the fact that she has two suzus on her bow and one hanging from her hair.
- Nicknamed “The White Princess,” Shirahime is a heavyweight angel who wears a white kimono. Shirahime's style of fighting is graceful and powerful, and she defeats her opponents with beauty and strength. Shirahime finished second in the Kantō regional games for two consecutive years. She fights against Suzuka and defeats her, and against Athena and Hikaru she loses. She is capable of reaching "Hypermode", like Blanche.
- Nicknamed "The White Angel," Blanche is a powerful angel dressed as a nurse who is so fast that she has only been touched by four other angels. When in a tough fight, Blanche will use a technique called "Hypermode", which is a result of a glitch present in the first angels. Blanche is a contestant in the Kantō regional games. Her name can also be written Branche with the romaji "r" sounding like an "l". "Blanche" is French for white.
- Ranga uses a technique called "the Dance of Death", which uses wind to attack opponents from a distance. Ranga is a contestant in the Kantō regional games. She wears Arabic clothes and resembles Tatra from Magic Knight Rayearth and Sumomo from Chobits. In the end of the anime, Ringo is wearing a cosplay of Ranga. In the manga, her name is Lanka.
- Wizard is the Kansai Regional champion, and was the runner up in the National Games for two consecutive years. Wizard uses a technique called “Magic Guard” to block his opponent’s attacks with an electric shield that uses static electricity. Misaki neutralized the shield by using one of Hikaru's cables as an earth contact to the layer. Wizard is one of the few male angels in the Layer. He has some resemblance to Clef from Magic Knight Rayearth.
- Athena has won the National Games championship in all three years of its existence, and is the undisputed champion of Angelic Layer. She can create powerballs, called Astral Emission, and fly with wings. During their fight, Hikaru learned to do this.
- The newest angel created by Madoka's sister Arisu. Mao is a contestant in the Kantō regional games. She is designed after a cat, complete with ears and a tail. Mao is Chinese for "cat".
Shadow Panther – Deus: unknown
- The first angel that Hikaru fights and defeats.
- An angel which uses illegal electric whips in unofficial games to easily defeat inexperienced players. She fights and loses to Hikaru in her second Angelic Layer match. In the last episode, Queen is seen fighting Arisu Fujisaki's angel, Alice.
- An angel which participates in the Tokyo Prefecture games, losing to Hikaru.
Nightingale – Deus: unknown
- An angel with experience in the Kantō regional games who is competing in the Tokyo prefecture games. She is defeated by Suzuka in five seconds. Nightingale is defeated by Hikaru in the Tokyo prefecture games.
- Katalina fights by "skating" on the layer, and uses her skates to attack while spinning. She loses to Hikaru in the first round of the Tokyo prefecture games.
- A powerful angel who lures her opponents into surprise attacks. She is defeated by Hikaru in the second round of the Tokyo prefecture games.
- An angel defeated by Hikaru in the final round of the Tokyo prefecture games.
- Ryo uses these three angels in a best-of-three match against Misaki in an attempt to show that girls cannot beat boys at Angelic Layer.
- Ryo created this angel after his loss to Misaki and Hikaru.
Natasha – Deus: unknown
- Champion of the Chiba prefecture games. She is defeated by Suzuka in the first round of the Kantō regional games.
Yusari – Deus: unknown
- This angel loses to Blanche in the Kantō regional games.
- An angel who competed in the Kyūshū Regional games. She competes against Shirahime in the Angelic Layer National Games. She has the ability to glide through the air using wings, and uses this tactic against Shirahime, although it was not seen during the Kyūshū regionals.
- The "Northern Aurora", an angel from Hokkaidō, fights Hikaru in the first round of the Angelic Layer National Games. She uses a technique called the "Hexagon Reversion" to immobilize her opponents in mid-air. Along with the lightning storm during Hikaru and Elain's fight, this technique almost makes the layer disappear. Elain has an advantage: she is a larger angel with long arms.
- An angel competing in the National Games representing the Angelic Layer company. SI-174 is a new model of angel which is capable of quicker and more efficient movements. The SI-174 fights Hikaru in the second round of the National Games.
- The previous angel created by Madoka's sister Arisu. She lost to Suzuka in record time in the previous tournament.
- An angel developed by Arisu for herself, in contrast to those she made for her sister. Her Deus, after seeing Mao lose to Hikaru, competed in other district competitions, and ended up as a finalist for the National Games as an opponent to Hikaru. Alice is a balance-oriented angel, which allows her to stay upright on an icy layer.
- An angel which participates in the Tokyo Prefecture games, winning against Colossus.
Fina – Deus: unknown
- This angel loses to Hikaru in the Kantō regional games.
Eadule – Deus: unknown
- This angel loses to Shirahime in the Kantō regional games.